SMEG upgrade- what's added

This section is for General Enquiries or for Systems not Covered Above

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

jius
My Cars: Citroen C4 Grand Picasso blueHDI 120

SMEG upgrade- what's added

Post by jius »

I have a C4 Grand Picasso blueHDI 120 Selection model with 2016 (16) plates. SMEG currently on car is: SMEG5.4.B.R8 . CD26378 Date: 01-12-2015

My question (I've googled all over) is if I upgrade firmware to the latest build - what can I expect to gain? My car model has not SatNav. I would ideally love to have Android Auto, but I cannot get this on the screen and I don't have a MirrorScreen compatible phone.

Is there any real world gain to be had from upgrade? I've not noticed any bugs, but perhaps early days as its new car to me. So no urgent need for bugfix.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: SMEG upgrade- what's added

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are no 'Exrtas', the firmware updates usually fix some bugs, but can introduce new bugs. The later update to your version still has issues related to Bluetooth Echo on calls, so I wouldn't bother. Also there is always a risk in updating, so I would leave well alone unless there is an overwhelming need to update it.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
jius

Post by jius »

Thanks! I just wanted to be sure if it perhaps added something, like 'unlocked' ability for Android Auto connection, which is often the case in IT/Gadget stuff where a firmware is useful if hardware can handle it. But I guess there is nothing to add with latest 2018 firmware version.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The SMEG systems are supplied with options at purchase, as in Sat Nav and 3/4G data connectivity for example, and a firmware release won’t add that to your system as it is a paid option.

You may want to check with your dealer whether the system can be enabled for Apple Car Play or Android functionality. There were issues on early models that required the dealer to download a configuration file to enable these features, but they are not something that a firmware update alone can resolve. They need configuring from PSA servers.

Give them a call and have your VIN number handy. They should be able to determine the system and confirm whether they can update it to work with these options for you.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Richard_C
(Donor 2016)
My Cars: C4 Picasso 1.6 Blue Hdi 120 Manual Excl+ 2016
C3 1.2 Puretech 110 Auto Flair 2017

Post by Richard_C »

Good advice but don't get too excited.

I have a pre-facelift early 2016 Picasso, which I think yours is as well. Mine has sat nav but you aren't missing much: our old £100 garmin does better. Facelift ones are called Touch Feel and Flair with improved satnav and general functionality. There are hardware differences between the 'old' and 'new',early new can be enabled for Android Auto, post c.May 2017 has it enabled as standard. I am 99% certain that pre facelift ones can't. Great pity, we also have a C3 with android auto and using google maps works far better than any in-car satnav I have owned.

Critical thing is to determine if yours is built pre or post the mid 2016 facelift.
Richard_C

Current: , C4 Picasso 120 BlueHdi, C3 1.2 Auto
Past Citroens: Dyane (x2), 2CV, Visa, BX (x2), Xantia, Xsara Picasso, C3 (x2) C5 X7 Tourer, Synergie 1.9TD, C1
Others: Hillman Hunter, Cortina Mk 1, Maxi, VW Type 2, Granada, SAAB 900, SAAB 9-5, R5 Gordini
jius

Post by jius »

Thanks for the thoughful replies.

I have a 2016 - 16 march not a 66 plate, so I guess it's the same 'old' one that cannot be enabled. Shame really as I know from many rental car experiences good old Google maps and my unlimited data beats them all, even to using realworld image maps, so I was never bothered for satnav with its line art, which needs updating to satellite positions every couple of months.

Thanks to all!