Installing map updates to Navidrive NG4 (C5, 2009)

This unit is the NG4 system, made by Harman Becker.
Main Features: DVD, Voice Commands, HighRes Display, 3D Mapping, Bluetooth Hands Free, Independent Phone with MDS Module, SD Card, USB, Jukebox.

Moderator: GiveMeABreak

splinternet
My Cars: Currently:
59-plate C5 Mk III 3.0 HDi Tourer
56-plate C4 Grand Picasso 2.0 HDi EGS
53-plate Saxo 1.1 Desire
Previous:
Xantia, ZX, 2CV, Mehari

Installing map updates to Navidrive NG4 (C5, 2009)

Post by splinternet »

I have a set of discs to update my maps. Basic question - how/where do I load them? The obvious place seems to be where I insert an audio CD, are there any other slots? But when I start the installation (step 1: firmware upgrade with the supplied CD) after about a minute I get a message "Read error - source cannot be played". If I skip the firmware upgrade and go directly to the first map DVD, I get "new navigation database has been found. Shall navigation update be started? yes/no". I'm loathe to press "yes" in case it's incompatible with the old firmware and don't want to risk ending up with a crashed system.

Can't find anything anywhere in the car's handbook nor on the internet to explain this step-by-step process.
DickieG
Monaco's youngest playboy
My Cars:

Re: Installing map updates to Navidrive NG4 (C5, 2009)

Post by DickieG »

Best to put a disc in each time you are doing a trip of 30 mins or more, simply insert the disc and click yes then wait until it's completed.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

splinternet wrote:I have a set of discs to update my maps. Basic question - how/where do I load them? The obvious place seems to be where I insert an audio CD, are there any other slots? But when I start the installation (step 1: firmware upgrade with the supplied CD) after about a minute I get a message "Read error - source cannot be played". If I skip the firmware upgrade and go directly to the first map DVD, I get "new navigation database has been found. Shall navigation update be started? yes/no". I'm loathe to press "yes" in case it's incompatible with the old firmware and don't want to risk ending up with a crashed system.

Can't find anything anywhere in the car's handbook nor on the internet to explain this step-by-step process.
You must apply the new firmware BEFORE the map update - if the firmware is not already N42C. Press the SETUP button and scroll down to the system information - this will tell you the current firmware and map versions installed.

Never attempt to update the firmware or map CDs without the engine running (risk of economy mode kicking in and corrupting the installation). I would not advise driving about whilst doing this as it can be distracting when asked for DVD changes or confirmations. Just fill up the tank and leave the engine running.

The firmware update can take 40 minutes plus (longer as you are loading from DVD - I usually load from USB). Once it has successfully updated and rebooted, check the version is correct by going into the setup menu again.

If all is ok, then you can start the Map updates. Just put Map DVD in and follow the instructions - but leave the engine running. As it is most of Europe that you are updating, it will take some time, so ensure you have the time to do it before starting as you mustn't interrupt the process once it has started. :-D
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
splinternet
53-plate Saxo 1.1 Desire
Previous:
Xantia, ZX, 2CV, Mehari

Post by splinternet »

GiveMeABreak wrote:.... if the firmware is not already N42C...

It isn't. Mine is 'ng4_D_N42b_N42.01' (is this just the firmware level, or also the map database too?). My NG4 can't read the firmware CD, so am I dead in the water? I bought this upgrade online from 'carsnavigation.com' at half the price Citroen want for it. It's purportedly 'Edition 2016-2 NaviDrive 3D / WipCom 3D (NG4)'. The instructions on the box suggest there should be 2 CD's and 2 DVD's, but it came with 1 CD and 2 DVD's. The CD is labelled 'Firmware Update' - this is the one that doesn't work. Before trying it out, I queried with carsnavigation why there wasn't a second CD which the instructions suggest is the POI, they said if the installation process asks for this then I should simply re-insert CD1. Now that CD1 can't be read, they suggest simply inserting the map DVDs. I think they're making this up as they go along. Interestingly, the product available from Citroen ('CITROËN SAT NAV NAVIDRIVE (NG4) - EUROPE GPS MAP + RISK AREAS - 2016-2 EDITION') is packaged as 'DVD,CD 1' (whatever that means). So I don't know what I'm buying.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That place is selling copies no doubt. The firmware you have already is just a small revision below and yes that is the firmware version.

I suspect they have copied the originals and used poor quality CD / DVDs. The first CD-ROM is only for the firmware and there is only one needed. They use similar packing for different versions. I suspect the second CD would contain the POI which also contains the Risk Areas for the speed camera alerts.

I have the firmware myself, so if you want this let me know. You will need to have a FAT32 formatted USB flash drive ready. The update can then be completed using the USB slot in the centre armrest.

However, it will be hard to tell what the DVD disc quality will be like when you come to update the maps. There are 2 DVDs for the Maps 2016-2.

Marc
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

I bought a firmware update from a Citroen dealer for all of £2 so why bother going elsewhere?

As there was something like eight or so discs loading each disc in turn with the engine running at 30 minutes a time was rather impractical, furthermore when each disc was loading the system just loads, no music or anything to disturb you until each disc finished loading when the disc would be ejected, can't see what the issue would be with that.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The NG4 doesn't have this Many discs, it only has the maps on 2 DVDs and the firmware on the CD. I suggested not driving round because of the distraction of reading the update messages and fiddling about while driving Dickie.

Marc
splinternet
53-plate Saxo 1.1 Desire
Previous:
Xantia, ZX, 2CV, Mehari

Post by splinternet »

DickieG wrote:I bought a firmware update from a Citroen dealer for all of £2 so why bother going elsewhere?

How much for an update to the maps? Citroen want £169. Couldn't see on the web site that they're selling the firmware alone. Did you buy the firmware update to prepare for a map update or for another reason?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

The firmware is needed to ensure compatibility for reading the newer map data. The firmware also contains Bluetooth updates for newer phones etc.

Citroën don't sell the map updates at the dealer, you have to go to
http://citroen.navigation.com/home/en_G ... enEMEA/GBP
This is the only official source.

I think Dickie has the RT6 eMyway system that is different to yours.

Marc
splinternet
53-plate Saxo 1.1 Desire
Previous:
Xantia, ZX, 2CV, Mehari

Post by splinternet »

GiveMeABreak wrote: I suspect the second CD would contain the POI which also contains the Risk Areas for the speed camera alerts.
The latest from them is "the missing CD is POI, it can be installed later on" - well, not if they haven't sent it to me!
GiveMeABreak wrote: I have the firmware myself, so if you want this let me know....
That's very decent of you, Marc. I'll persevere a bit longer with carsnavigation.com (I don't want to let them off the hook) but if it gets to the point where I'm tearing my hair out I will take you up on the offer.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

That POI is really only the risk areas, the POI data is contained in the maps themselves (as you would expect them to be given the updates road network).

You can subscribe to SCDB for €9.95 and get monthly updates for a year. It is exactly the same thing and will be more up to date than the one you get from them as they will only have the version out at the time the copy was made.
Here:
https://www.scdb.info/en/

Edit: I've sent you a PM with the link to the firmware.

Marc
DickieG
My Cars:

Post by DickieG »

GiveMeABreak wrote:I think Dickie has the RT6 eMyway system that is different to yours.

I've just checked and my C5 had the RT4 system, I bought a map update online from the official site at over £100, the firmware update I bought from a dealer simply because it was available and only cost £2 or similar.
13 Ram 1500 Hemi
14 BMW 535D Tourer
19 BMW i3s
06 C3 Desire 1.4
72 DS 21 EFi Pallas BVH
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Righto RT4. All the firmware is supplied as standard with the OFFICIAL map updates as part of the package, bot OP has got a used kit with some of the discs missing it seems. I think he's sorted for the firmware now, fingers crossed on the map update now!

Marc