No audio from speakers *Intermittent*

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

Narl
Donor 2023
My Cars: Peugeot 308 (T9)

No audio from speakers *Intermittent*

Post by Narl »

Hi all.

I have an issue with the audio on the 308, it will intermittently cut out every now and then, I am aware there is a service bulletin out for this one although when I have visited my local Peugeot dealer, they have advised the vehicle needs a new contract via Peugeot connect, which I do not believe to be true.

I have downloaded the TSB and handed this to my dealer but apparently there is no fault codes stored so they are unable to do the fix.

I have attached the TSB for the car, I just do not know where to go from here, and would appreciate and guidance or assistance.
Attachments
image1.jpeg.jpg
xantia_v6
Forum Admin Team
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: -
1997 Citroen Xantia V6 (France)
1999 Citroen XM V6 ES9 (France)
2011 Peugeot 308 CC THP 155 (NZ)
1975 Jaguar XJ-S pre-HE (NZ)

Re: No audio from speakers *Intermittent*

Post by xantia_v6 »

Does your car have the optional amplifier fitted?
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Pop up your VIN, but with TSBs, they have a strict procedure to follow to ascertain that the specific fault exists.

In order for the dealer to claim the labour time and or replacement parts back from Peugeot, it has to be a specific fault and meet the relevant criteria.

If those faults codes are not recorded in the BSI, then they are not authorised to carry out the corrective measures. They are advised to troubleshoot, but this may then be chargeable to the customer.

So if you car is out of warranty and the fault codes stored are not relevant to the TSB, then there is little you can do apart from asking them to proceed with further diagnosis.

One thing to bear in mind is that the newer connect systems have certain services that are subscription based so will stop working if not renewed. Navigation is one example.

One has to assume that a) you have the amp fitted and b) the technician is competent and trained to follow the fault finding process as described and noted in the TSB.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
Narl
Donor 2023

Post by Narl »

The above TSB is linked to my vehicle via the vin number. From what I understand the guys have asked me to get a new contract with Peugeot connect. After speaking to Peugeot UK today at length they have told me this service has been discontinued.

The girl stated that I should speak to the dealership directly and tell them the TSB is active regardless of there is a fault code or not either way they will get paid for the update.

The dealership has said there is no fault codes and the radio is working but there is still no audio so I don’t know how they come to the conclusion the radio is working.

The only way I know how to get a temporary fix is disconnect the battery for one minute and reconnect it. This might last two days maybe three maximum but will go back to the no audio issue.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

If you can pop up your VIN I can determine what kit you have and may be able to help.

Marc
Narl
Donor 2023

Post by Narl »

GiveMeABreak wrote: 06 Nov 2018, 19:34 If you can pop up your VIN I can determine what kit you have and may be able to help.

Sent via pm
Last edited by Narl on 07 Nov 2018, 09:20, edited 1 time in total.
Narl
Donor 2023

Post by Narl »

Vin: VF3**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Right, you have the SMEG unit from 2015, but you do not have an Equaliser Amplifier fitted (Class D 8 way Digital Amp) , which was part of the Denon Hi Fi system.

The actual TSB therefore does not apply in this case (the TSB is a generic document that applies to specific faults on specific equipment / components across a certain vehicle range) so could of applied had your vehicle had the additional Denon HiFi option specified on order. That's why the TSB may have applied had this equipment been fitted.

So now the issue is in trying to track down the fault. Having said all that, this does not preclude a firmware update to the SMEG system being relevant. There are various SMEG systems and the firmware for each is different so very important to ascertain the exact system in your vehicle. There is the base SMEG unit, SMEG+, SMEG+ i V1, SMEG+ i V2 and some later ones too. Because of the complexity of trying to update these systems and in some cases problems after applying the firmware, I would only recommend the dealer connects tot he servers and updates the firmware directly - they can then recalibrate anything that needs doing as a result afterwards.

Firmware aside, similar problems from owners with this issue have been a loose plug on the speaker connections, or between the screen and the SMEG unit inside the dash. Some have resolved it with a battery disconnect (follow the BSI reset procedure), some have rebooted the unit - but some have not.

So as it would appear that your vehicle is just out of warranty (if you bought it from Peugeot, consider an extended warranty if it is within the mileage limit and they offered it to you - it can be really useful). If the unit has no fault codes showing at all (very odd) it may just need all the physical connections re-checking which means a bit of work unfortunately. Sorry there isn't a definitive cure all answer - but with these issues there are simply too many variables to factor in, but I hope this has given you a few pointers.

Marc
Narl
Donor 2023

Post by Narl »

That’s a nuisance.

That being said the SMEG unit was replaced 29/09/17 ref TSB: D5AW011MQ0 part number 1613170380 - warranty has also expired on that as well. Certainly seems to be more of a issue than originally thought
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

Connectors between the units, and the speakers, have to be a first port of call.
If you can access the amp, try some (less than 200Ω) headphones on each of its speaker outputs in turn.

Check each of the speaker connections (leading away to the speakers) for resistance. Should be 4∼8Ω, but not open-circuit or a short. A 1.5v battery twitched on to each speaker should produce a crackle at the speaker.
Chris