Finally got a 407 coupe, but....

This is the Forum for all your Peugeot Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Re: Finally got a 407 coupe, but....

Post by GiveMeABreak »

So the conditions above will appear when the Engine Management Light is on. If it is intermittent, then that's going to make it slightly harder to track down - if you get the chance to investigate when the light is on, maybe that will throw some light on it. If possible I would really suggest you try and get the EGR valve cleaned up and / or replaced to eliminate that as a problem - all the time that is not functioning, it is throwing additional problems into the arena I suspect!
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Hesitation is there regardless of if the EML is on or off. Had yet another chaos weekend so didn't get time to plug her back in or tinker. I did plug it in Friday before I left work, the turbo code was there again (Probably through having to floor it to pull away before the truck smashed into me), and it was deffo in limp on way home.
However I didn't reset code, as I wanted to do some digging at weekend, which failed miserably. But, guess these use the 3 driving cycles thing, as saturday night the eml went off. Now, I can force it to come back on by giving it some welly. Drive normally again then after a couple of ignition cycles it goes back off.
This thing has always felt underpowered, my 307 90 that's mapped to 115 would leave the 407 standing. What's confused me is, new MAF and intake pressure sensor, its original code for airflow went away and still hasn't come back. But then this new code for turbo comes up. Before I changed those 2 items, I could bury the throttle and red line it and it never went into limp. I really don't get it, it's confused the hell out of me.
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

My mate's Merc did that and threw a light if he drove above 'gently', turned out to be a minuscule split in a rubber pipe. That would also go into limp.
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Gav - this may help identify some of the parts:-
Gav Air Circuit A.PNG
Gav Air Circuit b.PNG
(1) Vacuum reservoir.
(2) vacuum pump.
(3) Air mixer (Cold).
(4) Air mixer (Hot ).
(5) Solenoid valve - Air mixer (Cold).
(6) Solenoid valve - Air mixer (Hot ).
(7) Solenoid valve - turbocharger.
(8) turbocharger.
(9) Brake servo.
(1) Vacuum reservoir.
(2) vacuum pump.
(3) Air mixer (Cold).
(4) Air mixer (Hot ).
(5) Solenoid valve - Air mixer (Cold).
(6) Solenoid valve - Air mixer (Hot ).
(7) Solenoid valve - turbocharger.
(8) turbocharger.
(9) Brake servo.
Gav Air Circuit C.PNG
Gav Air Circuit D.PNG
The vacuum pipes are clipped at:
Oil filter
Lifting eye (Left hand )
Fuel pipe clip support
Inlet valve cover
Solenoid valve bracket - turbocharger
Connections to the solenoid valves :
Sleeves (b) without marking for the vacuum feed pipes
Sleeves (c) with white marking for the doser controls
The sleeves (c) must be connected in relation to the coloured marking (a) of the solenoid valves.

The coloured marking of the sleeves (d) must be aligned with the dosers groove (e).
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
madmaxgav

Post by madmaxgav »

Thank you for the images Marc, they were a massive help :-D
Grab a brew, sit comfortably, and allow me to type out my Sunday afternoon :rofl2:
So we all know my coupe has ran like **** since the day I got it. One thing after another after another. Changed, mass air flow, intake pressure, intake temp, egr blanked then off stripped & cleaned and unblanked, intake butterfly stripped and cleaned, fuel filter, all done over the last few weeks chasing this damn hesitation and them its boost issue it developed.
Yesterday, consisted of much tinkering followed by road tests, then more tinkering. Started off with vacuum. Started pulling pipes and seeing what the vac was like, none of them was particularly great, so started my way at the vac pump taking off the little valve that goes to the one way for the brakes, gave it a good clean out and ran it through with a 1.5mm drill bit gently by hand as the ports that go off it to the turbo side didn't feel like the were giving enough vac. Refit, fire up, much more vacuum. Road test, pulls better, can now hear turbo, ping eml limp... ffs.
Next vac lines off one by one, or as best as I could, plugged some ends, shoved a vac gauge on an open one, gave it some vac... held perfectly. Did this on every line I could. All held vac well. So, more head scratching. Checked little metal vac pipe that runs along the back of the block to the turbo solenoid.. that was fine too.
Made a brew, walks back to car thinking you ***** whats bloody wrong with you, it's Sunday so I can't get a new turbo solenoid, but guess I can take it off and see what it's like. Sealed unit.. nerrr took it apart. Diaphragm was perfect, but shaft was a little furred up, gave it a good clean, tiny bit or 3in1 oil, put back together. Not the best thing to put back together, and I'd suggest no one really takes one apart unless you're confident you can put it back together. Or in my case stubborn.
Back on road test, pulled much much better, then, ping eml. Really not happy.
Much scratching of head later, after each thing I did the car got better and better. So decided to go over things I had previously done... Took the plug off the intake pressure sensor and part of it dropped out, strange, was fine when I initially put the new sensor in. Rebuilt plug, plugged back in. Road test, perfecto!!! No eml and can floor it to redline with no issues at all!!!!! Took it out for a good run to regen dpf and let her actually stretch her legs properly. Checked when I got home, dpf only has 5g of soot, happy days so everything working as it should finally!
Then this morning... hesitation back. No codes, no nothing, still pulls perfectly. But this time hesitation is different. It's only from cold. Once she's warmed up, shes fine.
Just when I thought I'd fixed her too :oops: :oops: :oops:
Hell Razor5543
Donor 2023
My Cars: C5 Mk2 VTX+ estate.

Post by Hell Razor5543 »

Well, you might not have fixed her but you have got her a lot more healthy.
James
ex BX 1.9
ex Xantia 2.0HDi SX
ex Xantia 2.0HDi LX
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR
Ex C5 2.0HDi VTR

C5 2.2HDi VTX+
Yes, I am paranoid, but am I paranoid ENOUGH?
Out amongst the stars, looking for a world of my own!