Is my C5 dead? Need help.

This is the Forum for all your Citroen Technical Questions, Problems or Advice.

Moderator: RichardW

bfds88
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer Exclusive 2.0HDi

Re: Is my C5 dead? Need help.

Post by bfds88 »

Hey guys.
Só I've changed the battery to the new one and did a BSI reset procedure, though I don't know if there's a way of knowing if the reset was successful.
Everything is working I guess. The only thing I noticed is the tyres pressure sensors are not reading anything. But I'll see tomorrow while driving if the sensors have any change.

Thank you all for helping a guy out. I appreciate it. 🙂
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

When the power has been removed it can reset the TPMS system and it needs time to recalibrate.

Driving around normally for a while will do the job. Press the CHECK button and it should say OK on each wheel.

The system does not display actual pressures, so bear that in mind.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
admiral51
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: C5 X7 2009 2.0 HDI VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]
C4 2010 2.0 HDi Exclusive VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Post by admiral51 »

Congrats bfds88 on getting it sorted
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

crapday69 wrote: 10 Dec 2018, 16:09 As said before its not a good idea to jump start modern cars but sometimes its needed to get the car going for work etc. If your ever giving a car a jump start in the future, put your lights, rear heated window and other power hungry devices, then connect to the car to be jumped. After you've jump started the other car, individually put the power hungry devices off, this reduces the chance of any power surge damaging the delicate electronics in modern car

You've got this the wrong way round.

Jump start as normal, switch the power hungry devices ON before disconnecting the jump leads.

When the charging car is connected, the alternator on the dead vehicle sees 13.8v of a healthy battery. When you disconnect the charging car, the alternator sees the low voltage of the dead car and bumps up the charging rate. This is where the spike comes from. Put on the power hungry devices to absorb this spike.
moizeau
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 91 BX TZD Estate. Dead but loved
407 HDI 136 auto
C4 2l petrol coupé
2010 Dispatch III HDI 90
AND a 1980 Z1000ST
AND a 1983 GPz1100 inj
AND a 1995 Zephyr 1100
AND a 1980 Z650 (my moped)

Post by moizeau »

Like in the pre-electronic days. If you hadn't got jump leads, nick your mates battery, take yours off, connect his, start the car, turn everything in sight on, remove his battery and refit yours.....Possibly not a good idea these days!!
Pete
Notice the BX is still top the list but sadly gone
crapday69
(Donor 2017)
My Cars: Citroen C5 Tourer 1.6 eHDi VTR+NAV

Post by crapday69 »

moizeau wrote: 13 Dec 2018, 14:57 Like in the pre-electronic days. If you hadn't got jump leads, nick your mates battery, take yours off, connect his, start the car, turn everything in sight on, remove his battery and refit yours.....Possibly not a good idea these days!!

My son came home from work last week and told me thats exactly what they had done. I was easier to do that as they never had the radio code or something and they had to fit a new battery.

I remember back in the day (mid 80s) reversing the polarity of the battery when jumping starting as long as one of the batteries was low on power. I wouldn't want to try that with 2 fully charged batteries.
Paul-R
Donor 2023
Lexia Available: Yes
My Cars: 2015 1.6 Blue HDi 120 Peugeot 308 Active SW
2013 2.0 HDi 163 C5 Exclusive Tourer
2003 2.0 HDi 110 C5 Exclusive Estate (Gone)
2001 2.0 HDi 90 Xsara Estate (Gone)

Post by Paul-R »

crapday69 wrote: 27 Jan 2019, 09:38I remember back in the day (mid 80s) reversing the polarity of the battery when jumping starting as long as one of the batteries was low on power.
You'll have to explain that one to me, please. I've never heard of this.
As I get older I think a lot about the hereafter - I go into a room and then wonder what I'm here after.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering what the hell happened.

"Trying is the first step towards failure" ~ Homer J Simpson​
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Yes, it's technically possible to charge a battery the wrong way.
If one of the batteries is virtually dead, you don't get much of a spark when you put the jump leads on the wrong way around (don't even ASK how I know this!!!) and the dead battery will charge up with the polarity reversed. If you're not paying attention, or if you have a colour blind assistant, the first you know about this is the BIG spark when you connect it to the car.
Then, with moderns, you usually find it will crank, but not start and none of the dash works.
If you're extremely lucky, the alternator fuse will have popped quickly enough to save the electronics. If not, expensive silicone will have become an unpleasant aroma and quite possibly written off the car.
Going back to the days of rubber cased batteries, it wasn't unusual to deliberately reverse charge a battery, to crudely desulphate it and get another few months use out of it.
Definitely not recommended nowadays!
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

My old pal had a Hyundai Pony, one morning the battery was flat and he pushed it to try to start it, unsuccessfully, he was stuck until the vicar came along with jump leads to 'help' they connected the leads wrong and there was a blue flash.....that's when I got called out.

He had to wait four days for a new fusible link to arrive, the dealer said he'd never seen or had to order one before.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.