Informal Meet

A place to discuss any upcoming meets, club rallies and general get togethers.

Moderator: RichardW

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Informal Meet

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

just a thought really...

I've pencilled in a couple of outings both old truck related in June and especially if anyone else is gonna be there anyway, 'd be nice to catch up....

Classic & Vintage Commercials at the British Motor Museum (formerly Gaydon Heritage) on Sat Jun 10, 2017
https://www.britishmotormuseum.co.uk/ev ... rcial-show

Somewhere en route of the Historic Commercials 'Ridgeway Run' Henley to Quainton a week later, Sunday 18 Jun 2017; most likely Stokenchurch
Link to 2016 event Gallery http://www.hcvs.co.uk/pages/gallery/pho ... way%202016

Feel free to join me, 'specially if you'd be there anyway. :-D
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Informal Meet

Post by CitroJim »

Quainton would be good and I could also visit the railway stuff there too ;)

It clashes with the CCC National Rally though - which I'll be attending on the Saturday
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

drop me a line again nearer the time Jim if you fancy it. I know for me, if I were doing a major show on the Saturday, I'd probably not fancy travelling again the second day. 'tis the problem with the short window of opportunity in the summer months for shows, events & suchlike.

Busy one for me this year, with travel plans and a couple of major works to the car planned: both welding. Cut myself a huge OSR Cill Inner & Outer section off a scrapper yesterday, there's multiple layers of thick steel on the inner, above the jacking point; hard work!
Puxa
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

I will do, it would be excellent to meet up and natter about all topics XUD :)
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

*perks ears* did someone mention classic and vintage commercials? I'm in!

Nice little run over there from here, had the Briskoda Annual show there last year. Imagine I'll cause a bit less of a traffic jam in the Lada though, it handles keeping pace with modern traffic a bit better...

While I'm still learning myself, I've just got my welder back into a working state too if you're anywhere in the area and could do with an extra pair of hands.

Ps. If you don't already have an auto dimming welding mask...Just get one. I reckon I progressed more on learning in the first ten minutes of owning mine than in the previous ten years. Mine was about £30 from Toolstation - you're welcome to test drive that too if you'd like.
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

some of those old Skoda's were really quite stylish, did you see the Skoda display pics in my TechnoClassica 2015 folder? https://scontent-lhr3-1.xx.fbcdn.net/v/ ... e=5994D872 Only ever new car my missus had was a Lada Riva, before my time, she clearly remembers it fondly.

Happy to share what I've learnt about welding, which is a lot; detailed in hundreds of photos, many with explanatory text. Frankly, I had quite a struggle with it and it'd be nice to pass on my knowledge to help others 'skirt' the lengthy issues I've fought with and to maintain the spirit of others' knowledge imparted to me.

....talking of sharing, I've also got hundreds of pics of HCVS meets over the past few years. London - Brighton and Henley mostly.

I'd be curious to try the auto-dimming mask, as I made a conscious decision to go the 'lightweight' face only type mask route (also auto-dims), which I sometimes use in conjunction with a Nomex Balaclava; see how it is for weight and also how well it fits my head. I felt that maybe the 'bulk' of a full face mask could be troublesome in limited space, so curious about that.

Lets contact each other again say 1st Jun to re-confirm and arrange either a rendezvous point and/or swap contact details to 'find each other' there. I'm thinking to be there about mid-late morning.
Attachments
Outer Cill 3089.JPG
Puxa
Zelandeth
Donor 2024
My Cars: 2006 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi.
1988 Renault 25 Monaco 2.0i.
1985 Sinclair C5.
1984 Trabant 601S.
1975 Rover 3500.
1973 AC Model-70.

Post by Zelandeth »

Excellent. Will be in touch to arrange something then.

Really need to get back into the vintage commercials side of things again. Had only just got my foot in the door back up north with the heritage bus fleet based at Alford when I moved down here. Was lucky to have driven quite a few through work contacts and a friend who did work on vehicles like that.

Very much one of those things I think where logic plays absolutely no part in it - once you're booked that's it!

It was funny though the day when we took the old Leyland Atlantean out from Aberdeen and my mate (professional PCV driving instructor) sort of paused after I'd (correctly) filled in the tacho disc then said "Well you probably know more about how to drive this thing than I do...Of you go!" Took that as something of a vote of confidence.

Favourite experience other than driving from that area though, being the sole passenger on a main road run on board Olympian 131. Rear offside seat, right above the exhaust while we thundered down the road at full chat...Cummins L10 with not a massive amount of silencing makes a mighty satisfying noise...

Really miss them in Aberdeen, you used to be able to feel the bass from the exhaust in your chest before you could see the bus coming sometimes.

Curious to get into other stuff as well though, just haven't had the opportunity - save for getting to play with an Alvis Stalwart on one occasion too (now that's a proper big boy's toy)...

Probably a good thing for my bank balance and driveway that due to work politics I never got as far as going through the cat D driving test...One day though it still might happen.

...Then I *really* will need a bigger driveway.

In case you wondered, to fit either...

1. Bedford YNT based Duple Dominant II.

Or

2. Late Volvo B58 based Plaxton Supreme IV.

...Or any combination of the above to be honest. Yes...I know the Bedford is at best underpowered for the application but I have a soft spot for them nevertheless, courtesy of the bus I went to school on for a few years. A Bedford matching the above description, STA 380R.

...Big challenge I would have though would be if I did get hold of one is whether I would look to do a period paint scheme from when the coach was new, or the livery worn by the one I have fond memories of from my own childhood? Still...Short of a lotto win, not a problem I'm likely to face!
Current fleet:
06 Peugeot Partner Escapade 1.6HDi, 88 Renault 25 Monaco, 85 Sinclair C5, 84 Trabant 601S, 75 Rover 3500, 73 AC Model 70.
elma
My Cars: Undisclosed

Post by elma »

I always wanted a stolly, have you any pics? Probably the most desirable base for motorhome conversion on the planet if you are me.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:I always wanted a stolly, have you any pics? Probably the most desirable base for motorhome conversion on the planet if you are me.

A Stolly as a motorhome? Can't imagine that at all James... Are we speaking of the same Stolly here or something different?

I'm thinking of the amazingly iconic amphibious military vehicle...

OK for very damp camp-sites I guess...
Jim

elma

Post by elma »

That's the one, get one of the engineers ones and the cranes a hammock. A wooden lodge on its back for living space and it's the perfect atrv.
I've a thing for amphibious vehicles, I intend to buy a stolly and a bmp1 when I'm wealthy and successful.
I also very much feel the need to have a rolls Royce merlin diesel vehicle. Not sure if the stolly has that or if I'll need an old British tank as well.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

I can picture a Stolly as a motorhome now James :)

Interestingly different!
Jim

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)

:-D just a very quick shout to say that I won't be responding to anything here this weekend, family wedding today

Stolly?!
Puxa
elma

Post by elma »

Have a great time, weddings are so much fun.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

This is up soon, anyone coming? I'll be there as usual for a few hours.

http://www.colefordcarnivaloftransport.co.uk/
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

elma wrote:Have a great time, weddings are so much fun.

Ditto :D

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: Stolly?!
Alvis Stalwart - An amphibious military lorry of some considerable charm :)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alvis_Stalwart
Jim