Honda/JLR/Ford/Nissan/Toyota/BMW/PSA et cetera

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Re: JLR/Ford/& an Electric Swede....so far

Post by white exec »

The slowness with which the main traditional auto makers are migrating to electric is breathtaking. Even the hybrids are essentially a last-ditch attempt (opportunity) to produce and sell petrol engines. Cannot understand how JLR has been so slow to read the writing on the wall, and carry on majoring on diesel - it's not as if no-one has been talking about air quality, particulates, health and clean-air zones for some years now.

Interesting that it has been the Chinese that have started to dictate what sort of vehicles they want in their cities, and are voting with their feet: first with Toyota (no thank you to their hybrids) and now with luxury diesel. Their air-quality concerns are even more pressing than London's.

I think you are right, Neil - bring on the independents and the start-ups. They obviously have more imagination than the big boys, albeit much less existing investment and plant.
Chris
NewcastleFalcon

JLR/Ford &an ElectricSwede

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Paul-R wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 09:24 As is nearly every electric and hybrid car.

Why?

Paul...I have shoved a couple of old school electric conversions up on POTD to restore the balance...to my taste anyway. JLR's one-off of the blue e-type for H&M's wedding was also rather nice. A small factory churning those out would have a full order book from the well-heeled around the world and bring a few jobs and a bit of revenue to JLR :-D. Conversion except for your scrapheap challenge approach is still pricy.

Who is going to bring out the first kit car based on a Leaf that looks like a Lamborghini?

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Post by Gibbo2286 »

To be really cynical about the city pollution problems how about this, the EU (Berlin) imposes pollution levels on cities like London, when they're not met huge fines are imposed but who are the polluters, hoards of German cars, vans, trucks, etc. VW Audi Mercedes, Scania...……….that have been built with emissions test defeating technology. :shock:
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

1. Not just German cars, Gibbo
2. The UK signed up for those EU air-quality standards too, remember, which is how they became adopted as EU regulations
Chris
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

white exec wrote: 12 Jan 2019, 12:21 1. Not just German cars, Gibbo
2. The UK signed up for those EU air-quality standards too, remember, which is how they became adopted as EU regulations

Are there any other makes than German? :-D I thought VW had bought up all the other Continental vehicle makers VW Audi Porsche Seat Skoda Lamourgini Scania Man Ducati Bentley, all under the same roof.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
NewcastleFalcon

Just an aside to the modern, global players in the auto industry this little galery of "les petites anglaises" compiled on French site http://leroux.andre.free.fr/uk.htm shows the breath of small carmakers plying their trade in the UK in times gone by.

I used it on the Whatsthisthen? which was a Tornado Talisman built in Rickmansworth Hertfordshire. Part of the marketing then was always printed matter in newspapers and magazines, and at the bottom of the advert was

"Tornado Cars Rickmansworth Hertfordshire

Write for full details of the most advanced small car available for fast touring"

Now today you would be hard pushed to find a pad of your finest Basildon bond and a fountain pen, let alone a bottle of quink to send a stamped adressed envelope to Hertfordshire to get your "Full Details" of the Tornado Talisman" sent by return of post. :-D

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 12 Jan 2019, 18:28, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Re: JLR/Ford/Nissan & an Electric Swede....so far

Seen it on the news, not read anything about it but Nissan have announced they will not be making the X-Trail 4X4 in Sunderland.

Wonder what an X-Trail looks like........
Its this thing here......another SUV....yawn....yawn
Yes its a blow to manufacturing in the UK, but if Nissan get their act together surely they have to plan for an expansion in their supply and variety of electric vehicles rather than gum up a production line with the X-Trail dinosaur.

REgards Neil

Could be an opportunity
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
sparksie
(Donor 2016)
My Cars:

Post by sparksie »

Seems to me, they might be gearing up to move European manufacturing out of the UK altogether, if next month goes badly.
To avoid European tarriffs, don't they need to manufacture within the EU? I thought that was the big feather in Sunderland's cap.
As things stand right now, it looks as though cars manufactured in the UK may face the very same duties and quotas as those made in Japan, which makes taking the factories home an attractive proposition.
Given that Nissan are now Renault owned, I'm sure the Renault plants can be expanded to produce Nissan badged stuff for the European market, probably with considerable grant aid to sweeten the deal.
There may be another interesting development, too. As the only remaining European country still driving on the correct side of the road, it may turn out that Irish market cars come from Japan, as the relatively tiny Irish fleet will probably not reach the quota for import into the EU, leaving the continental plants free to produce LHD only drivetrains, though this may not be a big factor, given the need to produce Renault products in both formats.
Either way, it's going to be interesting and lots of people are going to come off badly, while a smaller number will see the opportunities to profit and thrive at their expense.
We're overwhelming our passport office at the moment because it looks increasingly likely we'll need passports to visit our relations and friends 40 miles up the road!
And, of course, the lunatics are gaining sway on both sides again, too...
Sparksie

2000 Xantia 1.9TurboD
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

The 'B' word is a bit of a red herring, the issue is that too many cars are made in Europe / for the European market, and Nissan realised that to set up a new plant in a few years time for a vehicle that will probably not be massively popular would not be overly profitable. Instead they'll consolidate production of it back in Japan.

Production in Europe / for the European market will need to be wound back a bit globally in the not too distant future as there are too many new cars chasing too few punters who have static or declining wealth. To put it another way - people are realising they can't afford a new car every few years.
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

The collapse of diesel sales is more likely to be the reason, EU emissions rules are the cause of that and the German industry fiddling their way through complying with the rules hasn't helped.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

... .and that Diesels will be banned in some European cities too. There are just too many vehicles being made - people are not buying them for many different reasons resulting in over production and vehicle graveyards. And do we really need another boring SUV along with all the others?
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Presumably the logical solution would be to produce fewer vehicles..... but no government in their right mind would publicly advocate that....... so I wonder what the end game will be ? Quietly allow vehicle manufacturers to fail whilst publicly saying how bad it is for 'industry', whilst privately acknowledging the grim inevitability of it all ????
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Subsidies and butter mountains come to mind. Somebody has to subsidise all these 'poor' farmers here driving round in their brand new £50k Range / Land Rovers.
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
NewcastleFalcon

Re: JLR/Ford/Nissan et cetera

SImon Jack from the BBC has written a little piece resasonably reasonable for the BBC

The real reason Nissan pulled its investment

Always worth a little scan of the comments section to get the wisdom of the internet punter as well!

and it the et cetera category, another attempt to boost "sales" Volvo have repackaged "private contract hire" and called it
"Care by Volvo"
A new way to get more out of life with Volvo

Today, our concept of ownership is changing. Leases and subscription services have never been more popular. Well, why should you have to own something to enjoy it?

This is the thinking behind Care by Volvo: a new service, designed to let you enjoy all the benefits that come with having a new Volvo without actually having to own one.

For a fixed monthly amount Care by Volvo not only gives you a brand-new Volvo for a fixed time period of two or three years, it also covers all regular service and maintenance costs and provides you with comprehensive insurance and breakdown cover.
REgards Neil

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Honda's Turn

Well I'd better have a look at this to keep up to date.

Honda set to close Swindon Car Plant

They do have this in the pipeline, now why aren't they going to churn them out in the UK? Are we not world leaders in such things? (rhetorical question...of course not). Yes its 2019 and its still a concept, so Honda have been a bit slow off the mark.

https://www.honda.co.uk/cars/new/coming ... rview.html

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey