Ebay joker.

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)
My Cars: 2006 C5 2.0 Litre HDI VTR Automatic Estate.(now sold on)
Currently Renault Zoe 2014 ZE

Re: Ebay joker.

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I've mentioned before my Amazon experience, my daughter, in the USA sent me a slow cooker, it arrived ok and the next day a second one arrived, I opened it and it had enclosed a Christmas greeting to, can't remember but it was obviously a gift for someone that had gone astray.

I reported it to Amazon, they told me that if it had come to my address it must be mine, I told them it wasn't mine and I had no idea who the people mentioned in the greeting were. They sill insisted it must be mine., someone went without their gift that Christmas.

I kept it for months in case they requested its return then gave it away to a young family in the village.
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Jolly decent of you Sir
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

van ordinaire wrote: 19 Dec 2018, 21:35 Mike - just how do you know anything is a factory reject?

Good question. I wouldn't stand up in court and say I know beyond any reasonable doubt every time but I'm sure you can spot them all over poundland/bargain shops for instance? They used to be declared as seconds then non-returnable sale items.
Being defective is the first sign.
Dependant on the product-type a lack of;- finish, fasteners, internal parts, bespoke packaging, branding, labels, instructions, support... are some of the common tells.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I got another message from these jokers this morning, "Please send photos so that we can help you sort the problem." so I've sent them one with the switch at off and another with it at on. and 'It doesn't work.' :-D

Took it to pieces, it has four button batteries one of them covered in corrosion, scraped it clean and it's working. :)
Man is, by nature, a lazy beast, he does not need twice encouraging to do nothing.
Timmo
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: 58 partner teepee outdoor hdi.
58 C2 Code in black! Fun!

Post by Timmo »

I had the same with a 'oscilloscope' I bought recently, tried all the apps available and nOne worked, messaged them about it, 'can you send a short video showing the problem' well I tried, but even the quickest video I could take was too big to send over email!
I did notice on a couple of expensive items recently delivered from oriental shores that in question of an item being held in outgoing customs the item be abandoned!
After All, I am the Cornish one!

'58 C2 Code
'58 partner teepee outdoor
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
My Cars: Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club (quietly sleeping in a parallel universe)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate
others:-
'96 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the "donor"
'99 Jeep Cherokee Orvis - the green one
'97 Jeep Cherokee Limited - the red one
'99 Cadillac Seville STS
'96 Cadillac Eldorado ETC
& numerous what might be described as abandoned projects!

Post by van ordinaire »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 20 Dec 2018, 13:05 I got another message from these jokers this morning, "Please send photos so that we can help you sort the problem." so I've sent them one with the switch at off and another with it at on. and 'It doesn't work.' :-D

Took it to pieces, it has four button batteries one of them covered in corrosion, scraped it clean and it's working. :)

NOS?
Citroens:-
'81 2CV Club :cry:
'05 C15 :!:
'97 Xantia Exclusive estate [-o<
Jeep XJ Cherokees x 3 :?
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
'99 Cadillac STS :|
& the numerous "abandoned projects" #-o
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

Not sure about being an eBay joker - but I've just had a reply back from a private eBay seller to a message I sent him.... back in the beginning of November :roll:
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
MikeT
My Cars: 2005 C5restyle 1.6HDI 16v 110hp VTR Estate
2008 C5 X7 1.6HDI VTR+ Saloon

Post by MikeT »

Something I forgot to mention regarding the online difficulties ebay buyers can experience when a purchase goes wrong.

For some resolution cases, I've used Ebay's telephone service and can't recommend them enough!
You can chose to call them or ask they call you. Of the few times I've used this service (today included) they've always called back within minutes and answered all my gripes and queries to my complete satisfaction.

For example, today's call was about 3x 5L bottles of engine oil I purchased which was dluy delivered by DHL 11 days ago just within the deadline. Disappointingly, the seller had substituted a different spec oil which did not meet PSA's B712990 standard, hence my need to seek a return/refund.

I had to wait 10 days (not sure why) for a pre-paid return label which arrived today but I was not happy as this only covered 0-2Kg and had to be taken to a post office at my expense. Presumably, Royal Mail would then demand I top up the postage costs as well.
(ps Current UK Consumer Contract Regulations state the seller must arrange collection if substituting goods without consent). So I clicked the option that Ebay give me a callback.

By the time I walked across the room and picked up my phone in preparation, it rang and I was speaking to a very pleasant lady (with North American accent) who took all my complaints on board, agreed to remedy them and told me they'll give the seller 5 days to arrange collection and refund my money.
Bravo ebay!
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Absolutely agree with this ^ Mike. Happened to me several times where the ebay 48 prepaid label is inadequate to cover both size and weight of package to be returned, so means I had to pay to top it up. I then claimed the balance of the postage via ebay directly on evidence of the postage receipt, as I couldn't be bothered to go all the way home - deal with it and then all the way back again for the sake of the correct label.

I always get them to ring me and they are always very pleasant, and I have yet to have a bad experience.

My current gripe though is the wholly unscrupulous practice of allowing items to be listed as in the UK, but are shipped from China!

When time is of the essence and you make use of the filters in your searches to show products for in the UK or EU only - then you find out on your invoice that it is a Chinese company and that there is no way the goods will be here in a week - then I get really angry. I've complained to ebay about this and had listings removed because of this - they tend to use a UK address that is probably just a registered / Postal service / mail forwarding address for the purposes of saying they are a UK company.

Even when using the filters I still get items coming up from the USA - and the postage charges are often double the item value! I mean you'd have to be totally dense to order something like that.

Marc
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
Location: Live & work in London but weekend in Devon (or do I now live in Torbay & work in London?)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

My experience has been the opposite: the item is, supposedly, coming from China but it's obviously posted here - AND the return address is another English address!

As for 'phoning eBay, how on earth do you manage that? I am about to refer some issues to Resolver, because eBay's immediate (& I mean IMMEDIATE - as in automated) response to asking for them to intervene is to close the case - safe in the knowledge that they have no need to provide anything as tiresome as customer service, because, in reality, they are completely uncontactable.
'96 Cadillac Eldorado
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

I'm having $^*t week with Ebay etc. bought a keyboard, Chinese tat only partly works, requested to return, they said we'll give you £4 back if you keep it, I declined, they offered £6, I said only a full refund will do, got a full refund and told " Dispose of it locally."

Sold a bodywork jack, booked Hermes (through Parcel2go) to deliver it, "Friday between 8am and 8pm." no show, rebooked for Saturday, another no show, now rebooked for Monday. p2g chat a struggle to find then useless.
myglaren
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: Mazda 6
Ooops.
Previously:
2009 Honda Civic :(
C5, C5, Xantia, BX, GS, Visa.
R4, R11TXE, R14, R30TX

Post by myglaren »

Try UK Mail - they have a subsidiary that is international (iPost) that I have used painlessly many times.
I do drop the parcels off at their depot, which is only six miles from me.
Gibbo2286
(Donor 2020)

Post by Gibbo2286 »

P2g and Hermes have always worked fine for me until now, can't understand what's gone wrong this time.

Our local Spar shop is a Hermes pick up point and it's only a couple of hundred of metres away but they don't like parcels over 5Kg and this one is 14Kg.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Gibbo2286 wrote: 14 Apr 2019, 09:57 I'm having $^*t week with Ebay etc. bought a keyboard, Chinese tat only partly works, requested to return, they said we'll give you £4 back if you keep it, I declined, they offered £6, I said only a full refund will do, got a full refund and told " Dispose of it locally."

Sold a bodywork jack, booked Hermes (through Parcel2go) to deliver it, "Friday between 8am and 8pm." no show, rebooked for Saturday, another no show, now rebooked for Monday. p2g chat a struggle to find then useless.
Hermes are useless - typical behaviour and not the best company for driver's to work for - they don't pay well and I think that doesn't help with staff moral or loyalty or sense of duty.

Marc
van ordinaire
(Donor 2017)
'05 (yes, really) C15
'99 Cadillac Seville STS

Post by van ordinaire »

Never understood the point of these courier companies: with 100 years experience is it surprising that Royal Mail outperform them 99.9% of the time - AND are infinitely more convenient!
'96 Cadillac Eldorado