Nice places to stop off at.....

This is the place for posts that don't fit into any other category.

Moderator: RichardW

NewcastleFalcon

North Staffordshire 1966

Post by NewcastleFalcon »

Well Alton Towers in 1966, seemed to be a nice place for a visit.....no white knukcle rides just the gentle pleasures of of the helter skelter and merry-go-rounds, boating and nice gardens.

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Re: Nice places to stop off at.....

Post by CitroJim »

I love the gardens in Alton Towers :D Best bit I think and somewhere beautifully quiet and peaceful to walk (or run) around whilst the kids are enjoying the rides...
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

As well as hearing th PM claim "We are leading the world in the development of electric vehicles" another staggering statement was made during PM's Question Time today by an MP from Dundee.

The Wall Street Journal has put Dundee in the top ten of Cities to visit on earth!

So it's got to be a nice place to stop off at....surely.

http://www.scotsman.com/regions/dundee- ... -1-4596561

Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 02 Nov 2017, 08:40, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

most places in Scotland fine by me, including Dundee.
Once woke up in Dundee 'coned off' as part of a VOSA Checkpoint that'd been set up overnight. Officials didn't seem to mind, but we nonetheless didn't hang about!
Puxa
white exec
Moderating Team
My Cars: 1996 XM 2.5TD Exclusive hatch RHD
1992 BX19D Millesime hatch LHD
previously 1989 BX19RD, 1998 ZX 1.9D auto, 2001 Xantia 1.8i auto
and lots of Rovers before that: 1935 Ten, 1947 Sixteen, 1960 P5 3-litre, 1966 P6 2000, 1972 P6 2000TC, and 1975 P6B 3500S

Post by white exec »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 19:32 As well as hearing the PM claim "We are leading the world in the development of electric vehicles". . .

What? Where on earth did she get that from? #-o
Did she mean China, or..., or..., or...?
Chris
CitroJim
A very naughty boy
My Cars: Bluebell the AX, Polly the C3 Picasso, Pix the Nissan Pixo, Propel the duathlon bike, TCR Pro the road bike and Fuji the TT bike...

Post by CitroJim »

white exec wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 21:36
NewcastleFalcon wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 19:32 As well as hearing the PM claim "We are leading the world in the development of electric vehicles". . .

She's clearly living in cloud cuckoo land ;)

Maybe there they are leading the world in electric vehicles there :lol:
Jim

Runner, cyclist, time triallist, duathlete, Citroen AX fan and the CCC Citroenian 'From A to Z' Columnist...
NewcastleFalcon

Maybe under the pressure of PMQ's, the simple little phrase "should be" in place of "are" was missing from that sentence!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
bobins
Donor 2023
My Cars: Kia Sportage
Mazda BT-50
Land Rover SIII SWB
V-F-R800
SL320
MX5

Post by bobins »

white exec wrote: 01 Nov 2017, 21:36

It depends what the small print says. The rest of the very very small print of that statement may have said "based on averaged per capita spend of the overall research budget", or perhaps "when you consider how many people we've got called 'Bert' working on developing electric vehicles - we've got more than all the other countries put together. We're world leaders in Bert-tech." ...and so on. :roll: :?
Sadly no longer a C5 owner :(
NewcastleFalcon

Very much like your thinking on that Bobins, but looks like Dundee has won out in the outrageous claim stakes from this weeks PMQ's. No castigating the Wall Street Journal for overlooking Ashby de la Zouch in their top 10 places to visit on Earth so far. No Dundee's done it now!

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur
(Donor 2018)
My Cars: 405 naD Est

Post by Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 18 Apr 2017, 06:35 If you are travelling on the M6....give Penrith a try.
Our favourite, No.1 Chippy in the entire country is in Penrith, "Angel Lane Chippie", a bit pricey, but superb! If you haven't sampled it, do so.

Its also memorable coz its the place where we spotted a Stobart Transit, missus & I usually 'Stobart Spot' on long trips. The coach is a 'rarity' too, saw it once.
Puxa
NewcastleFalcon

Pug_XUD_KeenAmateur wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 19:12 Our favourite, No.1 Chippy in the entire country is in Penrith, "Angel Lane Chippie", a bit pricey, but superb! If you haven't sampled it, do so.

I agree Puxa, we have enjoyed fish and chips from the Angel lane chippy many times :-D I do like Carlos in Alnwick too, and a good chippie is well worth knowing about.

I posted this up....on an off-topic tangent on another thread....about Carlo's with a nice picture of a scenic location which adds to the pleasure of consumption!

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=48953&p=464349&hilit=corby#p417432

Regards Neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

NewcastleFalcon wrote: 02 Apr 2018, 19:25 I posted this up....on an off-topic tangent on another thread....about Carlo's with a nice picture of a scenic location which adds to the pleasure of consumption!

I love that picture :D I had it as my wallpaper on my laptop for a long while...
Jim

NewcastleFalcon

Nice places to stop off at-Brampton

Two very good reasons that Brampton in Cumbria makes it into this thread.

Brampton is about 5 miles off the M6 up the A69 junction to Hexham/Newcastle

One is a sausage sandwich from Cranstons (also at Penrith) and the other
nfalcon 11/4/2018
nfalcon 11/4/2018
POTD Red Clock followers will appreciate the excitement of the unexpected discovery of another of those rarities, and a diamond shaped one at that!

Regards neil
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
NewcastleFalcon

Went to "The Lakes" today without actually going to the lakes. Had a lovely drive around rural Cumbria threaded loosely around 4 Cumbrian Villages which still retain their original yellow AA Village signs.

Calldbeck, Great Ormside, Nateby, and Melmerby. Lovely weather, the countryside looking very green and very pleasant, and excellent refreshment stops.

..and the great benefit of the random thread....you go places you wouldn't normally go to, have conversations with people you wouldn't otherwise have met, and can confidently write the words "great day" in your diary :-D

The pictoral record of the 4 AA Village signs I will put in the appropriate thread so here's a bit of a scenic view from the hill above Caldbeck although my photographic equipment didn't get to record the 3-way battle in the sky above involving a Buzzard, a Peregrine Falcon and a Crow.
N Falcon 14/05/2108
N Falcon 14/05/2108
Regards Neil
Last edited by NewcastleFalcon on 15 May 2018, 08:02, edited 1 time in total.
Only One AA Box left
687 Trinity, Jersey
CitroJim
A very naughty boy

Post by CitroJim »

That looks a lovely spot Neil :)
Jim