1.6 HDi Buying guide

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

Bob L'eponge

Re: 1.6 HDi Buying guide

Post by Bob L'eponge »

MikeT wrote: BTW, having spoke to Citroen. they advise using new studs (if you can get them out!) and nuts as they're torque-to-yield. Thoughts?
Here are some thoughts I had on just this topic from a while back.

http://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/v ... =3&t=43505

By the way, I understand that the injectors have to come out before the studs can be removed as there is a shoulder on the stud that the injector mounting clamp sits on!
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

harryp wrote:My other half just having purchased a late 2013 C4 picasso 1.6... am interested in this thread; obviously :wink: .
2103 car will be fitted with the later 8V DV6C engine - which is much less prone to oil / injector / turbo problems :lol:
Richard W
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Richard, I read that the late (2013) engines had been modified to prevent previous problems occurring! Do you have a view on this? :?
Would you advise still removing turbo oil filter in any case? It strikes me that the "modified" engine may still be too near the bone for comfort; after all, once past the warranty period, Citroen would not be in the least interested and we aim to keep this one. Spring and autumn oil/filter changes at approx 5K each together with the checks suggested should hopefully keep it running well :wink: .
Regards
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

Please be carefull with the stud tightening... the lower thread is a miesley 8mm or so thread and can and will snap!! Im sure they wont come out of the head with the rocker cover in place.. and needs the rocker cover off.. which is a big job because the cam shafts are bolted to the underside of the rocker cover.. so.. yes that means when its taken off the cams come away and all the rockers are left sitting. . Cam pully needs to come off... injectors out.. then new oil seals are needed at the top of the injector tubes.. though with the correct size socket they arent too hard to install.. I cant remember the size I used.. but you NEED to make sure the seals go back in peoperly ... its these seals that if not sealing properly because they are brittle they let the soot from blowing past combustion injector seals... this is how the oil gets the soot in and blocks the oil feed pipe..

we here at citroen need to learn from Volvos advice on these engines with their techichions. .. these engines rarely to never fail in the volvo equivalents! So.. what do volvo do differently???
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
RichardW
Forum Treasurer
My Cars: MK2 '17 C4GP 1.6 BlueHDi 120
'13 3008 1.6 HDi GripControl

Post by RichardW »

Harry - as I said above, DV6C engine was introduced in 2011, and reverted to an 8V format with 'proper' injector clamps. Lack of noise about these engines running their turbos suggests that they are much less prone - but by no means immune if abused!

Paul - I believe Volvo specify checking the torque of the injector clamp bolts at each service.....!
Richard W
harryp
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Forte HDI 110 hatch in wicked red, SORN
Exclusive HDI hatch in quartz, SORN
C4 Picasso Exc E, Wifes
Peugeot 207cc

Post by harryp »

Richard et al, Thank you all for the excellent advice. Did not realise the DV6C was as early as 2011 :shock: !
To belabour the point a little, do I or do I not remove the turbo oil filter?...... :? Please??
Regards
Regards, Harry

2000 Nov Forte HDI 110 hatch in Wicked Red; currently SORN
2000 Mar Exclusive HDI hatch in Quartz; currently SORN
2013 C4 Picasso Excl E
Peugeot 207cc 1.6 Roland Garros
citroenxm
My Cars: M reg Xm S2 2.1td Auto Exclusive. 269k and rising
L reg XM S1 V6 12v Manual SEi
L 94 XM 2.1 TD auto total resto

2008 Peugeot 207 Sw 1.6 16v hdi. 217k and rising
2010 Peugeot 207 SW 1.6 8v HDi 161k and rising

Post by citroenxm »

RichardW wrote:
Paul - I believe Volvo specify checking the torque of the injector clamp bolts at each service.....!
Yes.. preciesly what i meant...
harryp wrote:Richard et al, Thank you all for the excellent advice. Did not realise the DV6C was as early as 2011 :shock: !
To belabour the point a little, do I or do I not remove the turbo oil filter?...... :? Please??
Regards
If the engine is running well and sounds good do 6k oil changes ah la xud engines of the past and you should be fine harry... id say the strainer be fine. just watch the clamps and listen for blowpast.. plus watch for oil around the injectors... indicating weak injector tube oil seals..
Sharing a pug 207 1.6 hdi Sw 16v.
M reg Xm 2.1 td auto exclusive S2 269k and rising
L reg XM V6 12v SEi auto .. Light project

A very sad...
1994 XM 2.1 d auto
richb8
My Cars: Possibly...
Citroen C4 Grand Picasso 14 plate 1.5 e-HDI

Post by richb8 »

Hi Everyone, new to the forum and never owned a French car but come in peace...

We are on the verge of buying a 2014 C4 Grand Picasso Auto 1.6 e-HDI engine it has done 24000 miles. It ticked all the boxes , until I started reviewing the engine and discovered the Turbo issue, as much as I appreciate this thread there is no chance of me taking the engine pieces apart and making sure they all go back in the same place :) ...

I suppose the real question is does the engine from 2014 still have this issue, and would just a regular oil change at 6k do the job, unfortunately the car will not do many miles or have a good run on a daily basis but I was aware that we need to take it on run every couple of weeks to clear out the ?DPM?

any information on the engine from 2014 would be much appreciated, thanks in advance.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
My Cars: C3 Aircross SUV HDi Flair Peperoncino Red (The Chili Hornet)
C5 X7 2.0 HDi Exclusive Mativoire Beige (The Golden Hornet)
C3 1.6 HDi Exclusive Aluminium Grey (The Silver Hornet)
C5 MK II 2.0 HDi Exclusive Obsidian Black
C5 MK I 2.0 HDi SX Wicked Red
Xantia S2 2.0 HDi SX Hermes Red
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Emerald Green Pearlescent
XM 2.0 Turbo Prestige Polar White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
CX 2.4 Prestige C-Matic Nevada Beige
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Can you post up your VIN so we know exactly what engine it is as there are several variants. There is an explanation of the turbo failure problems here with good pictures:
http://www.theturboguy.com/uploads/1/0/ ... es-3-2.pdf
Please Don't PM Me For Technical Help

Marc
richb8

Post by richb8 »

thanks for the response, I will try and find out the VIN.
richb8

Post by richb8 »

that was easier than expected..VIN for 1.6 below, or would the 2.0 negate all those issues? http://www.availablecar.com/used-citroe ... ive/176419

VF7**************[VIN obfuscated, can be read by forum staff]

Thanks again.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

Right, that's a C4 PICASSO (B78) ESTATE - LEISURE 1.6 HDi (DV6C) STT 6-SPEED PILOTED MANUAL GEARBOX - so has the DV6C engine.

They're the Ford PSA engines used across a lot of vehicles. It is likely that the same issues can occur if the servicing and more importantly the oil changes are not kept up frequently - every 6000 miles some suggest to keep the crap out of the system - the carbon build up is the killer (see the article in my last post). Richard might be along in a minute to give you some more info on these engines.

One other thing to be wary of is the piloted 6 speed gearbox - you have the STT 6-SPEED PILOTED MANUAL GEARBOX on this model - and the actuators on these can be hugely expensive if they go - there's a current post with a member who has this on his C5 and he is weeping as we speak due to wrong oil being used....

https://www.frenchcarforum.co.uk/forum/ ... 55#p536487

Marc
richb8

Post by richb8 »

cheers Marc, it is advertised as an automatic, I edited my last post to include a link to a 2.0 Auto, do the 2.0 also have the same problem?

Forgive me if I am making schoolboy errors but this is all new to me to be honest, I have a company car so don't tend to worry too much about these things. It is only because we have a 3rd child on the way that I am looking into things a little more.
GiveMeABreak
Forum Admin Team
C15 Romahome White
XM 2.0 SX Polar White
CX 20 Polar White
GS 1220 Geranium Red
GS 1000 Cedreat Yellow

Post by GiveMeABreak »

There are automatics and 6 speed piloted manuals - basically, the piloted systems have a normal clutch and gearbox, but these are operated by hydraulic actuators. This is what your car has. Some dealers (non-Citroen) don't always know the difference. I'll email the specs of the VIN you gave me so you can see for yourself. The 2.0 has a different engine and don't suffer the same types of problems AFAIK. The 2.0 are pretty robust engines - but regular servicing is key - and more frequent oil changes will certainly help keep the car in good condition.

Marc
Michel
(Donor 2022)
My Cars: Some cars and a motorbike

Post by Michel »

Does all this apply to the 8V version too?