Speedometer dies when radio is left on after car turned off

Yes, place your time and money saving tips here.Nothing illegal or dangerous please!Motoring related only please.

Moderator: RichardW

hj79
My Cars:

Speedometer dies when radio is left on after car turned off

Post by hj79 »

I wanted to share an error that I have on my Peugeot 406 -00. Maybe it can happen to other PSA cars too, I don't know.

I bought a JVC radio player and put it in my car. This radio is *NOT* among the recommended models from Peugeot... Anyway, I installed it and it and it works fine, until I turn off the car and let the radio play that minute the car allows it to play before it turns off the power it self.
What happens next is rater amazing. The speedometer dies when I turn on the car again.
(This error only occurs for me when I leave the radio on after the car is turned off)

How do I fix it?

It's easy. Just disconnect the ABS sensor located on the cars left strut bar, leave it off for a couple of seconds and connect it again. Voilà. There you go!
Drive:
Peugeot 406 - 2000
Chrysler Grand Voyager - 2005
Ron3
My Cars:

Re: Speedometer dies when radio is left on after car turned

Post by Ron3 »

Is that a one-time fix, or does this guy have to keep doing that every time he turns off the car with the radio running? I've never heard of this kind of reaction -- why would it happen? Of course I've never come across a car without a radio either... My concern would be that if this can go wrong, what else may suddenly and strangely happen, perhaps when the car is in motion?
I'm not sure if National Tyres give the best deals or not, but feel free to check them out and compare them to where you get yours.